Health tonics have become the latest addition to everyone’s must-try self-care list. They’ve become so popular, that many wellness brands bottle up their own personal recipes and sell them for hefty price tags. While these are a great way to treat yourself, you can actually make many tasty and nutritious health tonics from the comfort of your own home.
Whether you’re looking to strengthen your immune system, increase your focus, or give your system a detox, there’s a health tonic out there for you.
Ginger Tea Tonic
Not feeling well? Sip on this gingery tonic when you’re under the weather or when you’re just looking to boost your immune system! This homemade tea uses fresh ginger and apple cider vinegar for their anti-biotic properties, lemon juice for the added boost of vitamin C, and a dash of cayenne to boost your metabolism.
Ingredients: (Makes 1 cup of tea)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Honey as needed for sweetness
- Place your piece of ginger directly into your cup of boiling water and allow to steep for 2-5 minutes.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and add the apple cider vinegar. Stir a few times before adding a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Carefully taste your health tonic. It will be hot! Add as much honey as you desire or simply drink it as is.
Rosemary Mint Iced Tea
If you’re looking to improve your focus and concentration, try a tall glass of Rosemary Mint Iced Tea. Rosemary is a stimulating, astringent herb that increases blood flow to the brain, stimulates memory, and boosts cognitive function. Mint has similar wellness properties and it’s also super refreshing. Add a little lemon and honey and you’ve got a seriously sippable health tonic on your hands.
Ingredients: (Makes 2 glasses. Trust us, you’ll want two.)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4-6 fresh mint leaves
- 1 lemon
- Honey as needed for sweetness
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a deep saucepan. Add the rosemary and mint leaves to the water and let boil for 2-5 minutes or until the water starts to darken.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze in the entire lemon and add as much honey as you’d like. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Fill glass with ice and carefully pour your tea into each glass. Garnish with more mint leaves and drink up!
Give your body the full body detox that it’s craving with this fruity and fresh detoxifying smoothie.
Pineapple, grapefruit, and spinach combine powers for a super-hydrating and vitamin-packed punch. These fresh fruits are also high in fiber making them incredibly effective at washing the toxins from your system. This smoothie also revitalizes your system with electrolyte-rich coconut water and calms your stomach with a pinch fresh ginger.
Ingredients: (Makes 2 smoothies. Feel free to share!)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut water
- 1 cup frozen diced pineapple
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup of ice
- Combine coconut water, pineapple, spinach, grapefruit, ginger, ice, in a blender.
- Puree until completely smooth and there are no visible chunks remaining. Pour into 2 glasses and serve!
No matter the reason, adding health tonics to your routine can be a fun and easy way to take care of yourself from the inside out. Try these at home and let us know what you think!